Since I don't have a "Sometimes I Work in Johannesburg" book, I thought it would be helpful to share some of the things I brought home for the kids.
Everything in the list below was bought at the Rosebank African Craft Market.
- Beaded headbands (Rosebank lots of brightly colored, hand made beaded crafts)
- Tribal masks (small, hand carved)
- Finger Piano (traditional African instrument)
- Leather book marks of the "Big 5" (Lion, Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Leopard)
- Cotton dress (this actual was made in Thailand, but it was nice!)
All these items are small and easy to pack and carry (key criteria for business traveling parents). They are also unique to the country and help to tell a story about the culture of the country. I'm not saying that you couldn't find these things someplace else, but more of the crafts in the Rosebank market were hand made and seemed "genuine".
If you've visited Jo'burg and have other ideas, please leave a comment. I'm sure other traveling parents will find it useful!Sphere: Related Content